Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I wrote this to a friend today at work. I feel it encapsulates my love life now...which is nonexistent... I decided that part of this whole 3 month-to-clarity project should exclude dating. I would argue that kissing is more than allowed however...




Well, now that I am single and on the "prowl" (not really, but it sounds better than "I'm not dating at this moment"), I had a night out last weekend that illustrated how being single can be both entertaining and disheartening at the same time. My friend Alissa and I (both going through break ups) went night skiing and decided at the last minute we would go out to a bar after instead going home and feeling sorry for ourselves. So, we changed out of our ski gear into some more appropriate going out-garb and headed out.

We arrived at this bar on Lark St in Albany and it was crowded. We both got drinks and found the semi-open area in the bar. We didn't know anyone so we just contented ourselves to talking to each other. After a few minutes, this guy came over. Kinda cute, kinda young-looking. He says to us, "How's it going? Soooo, are you girls like a couple?" We looked at each other and just started laughing. Apparently that was his cue to call his friend over and strike up a conversation.

So each guy picked one of us and tried to get our life story and relationship status. Then, Dale, my suitor, said "How come you guys aren't wifed up?" (Ok, first of all, "wifed up?" and second of all, did this guy really think that insulting our inability to find a husband would get one of us in bed?)

We said no and laughed it off. Dale then said "Well, it must be because you are into each other." At this point I gave the little ear tug to Alissa to get us the hell out of there.

We then saw my landlord's son, Adam, who lives next door to me. He was with some friends so we used him as an excuse to get out of the awful, self-esteem crushing predicament we found ourselves in. We hung out with Adam (neighbor) and his friends. I noticed one of his friends. I thought he was pretty cute. Until he opened his mouth. We started talking about football (he was wearing a Jets jersey). He had no concept of personal space. He sat really close to me, spitting ever-so-slightly when he talked excitedly about god knows what. And he had a slight lisp ( not that there is anything wrong with that, of course). At the end of the night, he asked for my number and because I didn't know what else to do, gave it to him. He then went in for the awkward hug and kiss. I turned my head and he ended up kissing me ear. Wow. He did eventually ask me for a date...VIA TEXT MESSAGE! Needless to say, I said no.

And apparently, all through this, Adam, the neighbor, decided he had a thing for me and told my friend that. Thankfully, she said now is not a good time. Since then he also has asked me out...VIA TEXT MESSAGE ALSO. Can't a person ask someone out the old fashion way?? Also, I made the mistake of facebooking him and he asked me to go skiing with him. We'll see how that one goes...

The whole experience showed me that while some guys don't think I'm hideous looking, Ty is starting to look real good compared to them, haha. I think I'm going to swear off men for a little while. I don't know how long that will last though. I'm super boy-crazy now. But one can hope, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment